What You'll Need:
(The below portion serves for 4 people.)
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves (add more herbs like dill, mint, and basil for a different flavor)
• 1.5 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (if canned, be sure to rinse off the can-slime!)
• 1/2 cup bread crumbs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for five minutes, until soft and translucent. Remove from heat and place onions in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, blend carrot, garlic, parsley/herbs, and chickpeas until smooth. Add chickpea mixture to the bowl with the onions and mix to combine.
- Add bread crumbs, salt, coriander, and cumin to the chickpea mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray or brush with olive oil. Form chickpea mixture into 4 patties about 3 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Place patties on and baking sheet and use a pastry brush to brush patties with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they begin to turn golden brown. Serve warm with tzatziki sauce and tabbouleh.